Sunday, October 2, 2011

Halloween 2011 - How To Make Cattails

When I decided on a swamp shack, I immediately thought of cattails!  But I had never made them before, so I did a little research and this is what I came up with.  I started with a piece of wire and added green fondant to it, keeping it as thin as possible, knowing that I had to build the brown around it.



I then added brown fondant, and wrapped it around the green.



Next came the leaves.  Taking the same green fondant as the stem, I rolled it out thin.  I then cut a leaf shape, and inserted a green toothpick.  To make it a little more believeable, I pushed the edges up, and on some of the leaves I added a bend to the top.





These are the pieces that I used to create a couple of groupings.




I let them dry overnight.  I grouped the different pieces together and stuck them into the styrofoam base.





No comments:

Post a Comment