Saturday, October 1, 2011

Halloween 2011 - Assembly Of The Shack

After rolling out the dough and baking your gingerbread, assembly comes next.  Since it's a swamp shack, it needs to be elevated off the board.  I accomplish this by using wood dowels, cut to 1 1/4" lengths.  I then covered them in gingerbread and baked until firm.



I did 4 dowels for the house and 6 dowels for the dock.  Next, I prepared my base using a 12" round styrofoam and covered it with aluminum foil.



Next,  I assembled the house onto a cardboard base, covered in foil, that is the same size as the house.  I did this on the counter as opposed to on top of the dowels.  I then let the house dry enough so that it didn't collapse when I picked it up to place on the dowels.




I placed the 4 shack support dowels onto the base, using royal icing to glue them in place.




Using a piece of cardboard, I placed it on top of the dowels and pressed down, ensuring that all the dowels were the same height before putting on the house.





Finally, I picked up the house and placed it on the dowels.  As you can see, I positoned the house so that it hangs off the back a little bit.








No comments:

Post a Comment